Wednesday, December 21, 2005

It ain't easy being...

It's almost my birthday. The holidays are upon us, and of course, like every year for the past 15 years I will be probably be sick on my motherfucking bday, again. Not only do I have to compete with Jesus to celebrate my bday, but I also have to contend with an infection that only responds to anti-biotics that I should not drink while taking.

What is the point of a bday if you are not bent over a toilet vomiting cursing the day you were born?

I never considered myself a smoker until this past week, where I have had a pernicious cold, and coldeeze, airborn, ecinacea, and Vitamin C aren't helping. Yes, I know it's a sinus infection and I need to see a Dr. but, I am afraid of them. Unless they give me happy pharmies...

However, not being able to smoke because it aggravates my sinuses and throat, I have the worst case of the munchies. Like, I think I have gained 10 lbs since I put food instead of ciggs into my mouth. I really miss my ciggs...a lot. Seriously. I love you Phillip Morris.

Take a look at this article by the AP, a gardening company is firing its workers who smoke:

MARYSVILLE, Ohio - Scotts Miracle-Gro Co., looking for ways to hold down health insurance costs, will require workers who smoke to quit by October or lose their jobs.
The lawn and garden company wants workers to live healthy lifestyles, said James Hagedorn, the company's chairman and chief executive. Scotts recently opened a $5 million fitness and medical facility.
Scotts is joining other companies focusing on smokers to cut health insurance costs. Some companies make employees who smoke pay higher health insurance premiums, or don't hire them.
"Why would we admit someone into this environment when they're passing risk along to everyone else? Our view is we shouldn't and we won't," Hagedorn said.
Scotts, which made $100 million on sales of $2.3 billion in its last fiscal year, has 6,000 employees in the United States and overseas. It said it can fire smokers legally in 21 states.
"We're being as aggressive as the law will allow us, to keep our costs under control," Hagedorn said.


Yet another fucking way for big business to get into my shit. First I need to ask its permission to take my vacation time, then I watch the mutilation of the English language with HR speak infiltrating the vernacular and now, you are telling me that I can't smoke within the privacy of my own home?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home