Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The end is the beginning is the end

All is well that ends well. Or so the line goes.

I guess this is the part of the story where I appropriate Ann Frank and tell you that "despite everything I still believe that..."” Well in my case, the lesson learned is that everything works out for the best. And by the way, yes, my cynical mind still believes that people are truly good at heart.

And although I pride myself on being original and inventive, this time it seems that only a cliche is appropriate. Especially in situations like this.

I guess everyone all saw this coming except for me. What better ending to the saga of the quarter-life crisis transcribed onto paper than the author, once again, landing on her feet. Despite her antics, and what seems like, lessons ignored.

I got into grad school.

And not just any grad school. I am off to Oxford, baby.

But my mother summed it up the best:

"“I have a daughter graduating from college tomorrow, my son is graduating the police academy next month, and my daughter just got into Oxford. I guess I did well as a parent."

I don'’t know what I am more proud of at this moment, the fact that my hard work and tenacity paid off or the pride that it is bringing to my parents-- their moment to see that they really didn't fuck up, their validation that they did a great job raising all four of us. Despite everything.

So, I beg your pardon, but in lieu of a proper blog post tonight, I am going to bed, riding out my buzz and nursing my cold, celebrating that I got into grad school.

And quitting my job in the next six weeks-- —so that I can write my book treatment.

17 Comments:

At 3:18 AM, Blogger petey said...

well done :-)

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger J.Green said...

mazel tov. way to go.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger AWE said...

Congrats!

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it safe to assume that knowing the definition of "cynical" was not an entrance requirement? I'm begging you... please do not write that treatment.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! very well done indeed : )

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Alexis said...

congrats!
i hope that means some more fun stories from the other side of the pond will be coming our way.

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is Hoyt's deal?

Well done and congratulations! Don't worry about the career part right now, just savor this high point on the roller coaster of life. Congrats to your folks, too. When my parents beam, it makes my success seem all the more sweet. Will you amend your posting title to A Lustful Lush in London?

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Shandoll said...

Thanks for the conrats :)

As for the career, I think we all know that I am really not suited for the "Ad World" and that I am on the rd to become an academic. YEA! Or maybe a writer, if I can pull off the same stunt. By getting in, I feel like I am closer than ever towards finding my "path".

As for Hoyt, just ignore him. I have asked him multiple times on this blog to stop reading. Actually, I have begged him to not read it anymore, but for some reason he keeps coming back and wasting his time.

Seriously, Hoyt, I am begging you, why don't you email me and tell me a bit about yourself. You seem like a sad lonely middle aged man. Am I wrong?

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong on all three counts. I read your blog for the same reason people gawk at car crashes. It's stomach-churning but somehow fascinating.

By the way, what is your book going to be about? Let me guess... a cross between Augusten Burroughs and "Sex and the City." Does the world really need another tale of a young urbanite's drunken quest for love and meaning in the scary new world of adulthood?

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Shandoll said...

No Hoyt, I was aiming more for a cross between Helen Fielding and David Eggers.

Both NYT bestsellers, btw.

Wait, and wasn't Bridget Jones made into a movie?

$$$$$$

BOOYAH!

Seriously, please email me. I would love to have some one on one chats with you...

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoyt, does the world really need another person gawking at car crashes? "Move it along, nothing to see here....."

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true, Hoyt. I can't get enough of reading about another sassy, single lass like me. I suppose it’s similar to the "misery loves company," mentality. Mind you, we are NOT miserable (at least most of the time). Single is not synonymous with alone, and it's comforting to know that we are not the only ones yet to settle for a guy that doesn’t fit the bill we’ve molded in our mind, or are focusing independently on a career, or doing stupid things while drunk (and taking our drinking, perhaps by some people's standards "over the limit") or even stupid things without drinking.

I guess addressing Hoyt is only going to encourage him, as she has addressed him plenty unsuccessfully, she need not waste her typing on defending herself to yet another member of society disapproving of the way we handle our lives (as if we don’t have to defend ourselves enough as it is... and we’re only 24!)

Sorry, it’s just some of the things Hoyt’s been saying reminds me of my young and married friends in situations where I’ve kept my tongue. I didn’t really realize it, but I’m growing into the sterotype… and honestly, I don’t mind.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your acceptance! Here's a place in London where you can do "research", if you continue to write your blog... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/5012334.stm

Enjoy!

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger corrie said...

Really damn flattered you read my blog and find me funny. I highly enjoy yours, a fellow sarcastic. And congradufuckinglations on Oxford, that is absolutely amazing.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

> graduating the police academy

I really couldn't say that with a straight face after all those "Police Academy" movies :-))

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Jefferson said...

Oh my God, you really are--just like yoiu've been saying.

Congratulations!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Del-V said...

That's awesome. Nice work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home