Monday, January 30, 2006

Tiny hiatus

Dearest Readers,

The social experiment that I've called my life for the last year on this blog is about to come to a screeching halt...Momentarily of course.

As I have alluded, there is a shit load of uncertainties in the air for me: grad school apps, seasonal depression, and of course my mild form of alcoholism.

With 3 beers consumed as intellectual fuel, I've come to understand why I have been such a small-time fuck up for the last few years since college graduation (and one year in blog world). I've been ignoring my true passion--I miss being an intellectual and pontificating on dumb shit that nobody really cares about. As much as I pretend to love money, and worship my Manolos and my Grey Goose, I don't write about how I sit in the Cultural Studies section of Barnes and Noble for hours on end. Nor do I tell you readers about my legnthy discussions sandwiched between the chats about sex, dating and masturbation, on trying to understand factors of social mobility and the impact on the social construction of gender.

I've realized, after re-reading my work, that this blog has evolved into a chronicle of, I know this sounds so fucking cliche, a woman trying to figure shit out. Substituting alcohol and other indulgent experiences for her frustration with modern life, hoping that the experience will quell the emptiness of idle office chit-chat and looking at excel sheets for hours on end.

So, the blog is taking a tiny backseat. My priorities are realigned, starting with grad school of course. And sadly, because I have never gotten anything in my life based upon merit, my foray into grad school will be far more labor intensive. With the frequent emails on how much I love the Professor's work, to the meetings, basically schmoozing. If I knew which profs at my proposed grad programs played golf, you know my ass would be inviting them for some Scotch at the Club. Sadly, I don't want to sound too bourgie since I am trying to convince people that I care deeply about social stratification.

Old readers, new readers, and friends...bear with me please. I promise ruckus drinking stories in the near future but right now, I need to kick some serious ass because if I hear one more person use HR speak...

I really can't make jokes about suicide on a public forum.

Much love,
Shannon

PS so just expect less frequent posting, like 1-2 times a week for the next few weeks. That is, unless you guys help me recruit more readers. Because that is the ultimate love:)

6 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey goodluck Shannon :)

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Corinne said...

dear god shannon, i'm loosing my key procrastination key. oh sad. very sad but i understand. i'll miss your updates darling

c

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger AWE said...

No. No. No. You can't quit. I just found you recently. You can't give up the drunken masturbation evenings with the landlord's son listening.

I will still check everyday for a post, but don't get pissed when you see, "Time to Post" in the comment section from me.

Good luck on any adventures that are coming your way.

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon

one advice from a "good friend".

Read: "Fire Your Boss And Hire Yourself" written by: Stephen M. Pollan & Mark Levine.

very kind regards

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon, I totally understand what you're going through. Yes I am a guy who reads your blog, but of course I'm gay...so I guess that doesn't count. BUt I can relate to your stories and how you feel, I'm thinking about giving up my boring ass paralegal job in the midwest and move to LA. Wish me luck and I hope once I start my blog to get you to take a look at it. Good luck with everything!

L

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger AWE said...

Time to post.....sorry had to.

I just noticed the picture is gone....hmmmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home