Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Filling You In

So I’ve been reading your comments and I just want to give a massive THANK YOU to everyone who’s posted and shown me blog love. When my great aunt passed away, a few of you gave your condolences. When I write and say that I will be posting less frequently, I get emails, links on your sites, you tell your friends about my blog, and some of the nicest comments posted. Especially those who’ve said that they are going through similar shit. I guess you guys are a lot like the men I date, when I pull back and act like I am not as interested, that is when they spring for the bottles of Vueve Clicquot on top of the Peninsula Hotel.

Procrastinating applying for a new life, I decided to address some of the questions/comments that you all have raised:

1. Where did the pictures of me go?

I had to take them down after The Bouncer gave me a heads up that he was linking me to his site. Work is a little rough right now and I decided that it was not in my best professional interest to connect pictures of me to my drinking stories.

And if you noticed, I also deleted all of the posts that were related to my old job for the same professional reason. Once my life is more stable, and I redesign the site, you will see so many pictures of me that you will get sick.

2. Where am I applying for grad school and in what discipline?
As I’ve alluded on here, I am in love with sociology. I want to study the reasons why we buy things and how we use our purchases as symbols of our social status and membership to social groups. I’ve been reading about this shit since I’ve been 12 (you know, rationalizing why my dad wouldn’t buy me the designer jeans) and I am obsessed with it. Like, when I talk about it, I get the same feeling as though I am in love with someone. I’ve just gotten over my fear of being academic poor very recently.

As for where I am applying: Columbia (you guys already knew that), Hunter (safety), London School of Economics, and maybe maybe maybe but I doubt I’ll get in…to a school in the UK that is really really prestigious. And the only reason why I *might* apply there is because there is no application fee.

However, once I am done with this post, I am off to a café where the NYU students hang out to read about 100 pages of journal articles that a professor where I want to go to grad school wrote. I’ve never gotten anything on merit alone…and I doubt this venture will be any different.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for your redesign Shannon! I showed my friends your site and they love the landlord's son lesbian sex post hahaha.

Goodluck with graduate school! Much love.
- Martin

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shan! I had no idea you could write like this. You have exceptional word choice and pacing in your writing, and can wring so much material from relatively small moments. An eye for detail really makes for engaging writing, and you've got one!

Anyway, I'm reading a book right now that seems to be uncannily similar to your life! It's called "My Misspent Youth" by Meghan Daum.

-Fiddy

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger AWE said...

I hope life leads you in the direction you need to go. Keep plugging girl, you will get there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home