Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A lesson that applies to everything

After spending about 10 hours trying to edit down a research paper of mine from my undergrad days, I realized that if I have to put in that much effort, there was a reason why the prof gave me a B on the paper. Despite the great thinking and the use of the words hegemony, patriarchal institutions, and monolithic capitalist regime, it wasn't a very well written paper. Much like this blog since I have been spending all of my free moments fretting over my impending grad apps that are due next week. Not postmarked, but in their greedy little hands.

But life lesson:

If something requires too much effort, you're forcing it. Let it go and get something else because hands down, when its the right fit, the ease and comfort of the process will let you know.

The same lesson can be applied to relationships, job searches and even sex.

I should write a book titled, "Everything I needed to know, I learned in the bedroom." Or "The Armchair Sociologist: Lessons That You Were Too Bored To Learn In Class"

This long weekend couldn't come soon enough.

3 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger AWE said...

Nice analogy.

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't disagree more strongly with you. My wife rejected me 3 times, but I wore her defenses down, and have been happily married for years. My boss thought that I couldn't handle more responsibility, and I worked my ass off to prove him wrong. In fact, everything good in my life came with heartache and dificulty, and you know what? I appreciate it all the more!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Shandoll said...

I am not saying to NOT work hard and work towards something that you want, the point that I want to make is that there comes a time when you need to realize that no matter how much you want to use a paper or do that job at work, other factors come into play. For some it may be talent (what stops me from becomming a dancer) and others, such as myself, a poorly written paper that wasn't that great to begin with.

Forcing something is no fun and sometimes you need to acknowledge that it just ain't going to work out the way we like. It worked for me...but dude, your wife rejecting you 3 times?!? Did you leave dead flowers outside her door at all during the ordeal? Did she marry you under duress?

You have commitment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home