Monday, May 01, 2006

My asshole ex-Roomate

John has finally moved out and took his furniture with him. He found a nice 22 yr old Australlian girl on craigslist to take his place.


Now, I know some of my readers are not from NYC, but, I want to hear your feedback anyway. I think my readers in Kansas have more streetsmarts than he does.

John gives the girl the keys on Sunday and then tells the girl that it is ok to give him the rent money and deposit on Wednesday. She can live for three days in the apt without anything holding her financially accountable to the place. I spent 45 mins on the phone with him explaining why this is such a terrible idea. He didn't get it.

In theory, there is nothing stopping her from coming in and taking my stove, the fridge, my LAPTOP AND TV, my shoes and handbags (one bag costs over $700+ alone). I can be cleaned out. I could lose everything to this 22 yr old hippie. They hate capitalist pigs like me!

And of course, as she has the keys and we do not have her deposit, we cant get in touch with her.

I am sleeping with the front door chain on as well as a knife next to my bed. I will do anything to protect my Prada and Casadei accessories, even go third world and cut off a person's hand.

Off to sleep and reading Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs. I am too stressed and tired for a better post. Still recovering from the panic attack I had at work that almost made me go home to LI. Maybe it's about time I see a shrink? I really don't deal with stress easily.

9 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you were right in telling your roommate he was nutso for doing that. I definitely would not have done that. do you have a lock on your bedroom door? If not, can you purchase one and then leave everything in there until you see what kind of person she really is? She could be a very honest and good person.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't even have to go as hippies being theifs I had a random room mate who seemed completely normal, she was friends with a lot of my friends....steal endless amounts of clothes from me and cash from my wallet. Be careful. Your exroom mate sucks for doing this to you. Lock your door indefinitely....

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might have known you'd be an Augusten Burroughs fan. That explains a lot.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, this is my first comment. You can never be to cautious in NYC esp. with housing...it's good to keep everything official and it's a good rule of thumb to get your money before or on the day she moves in. You can get a locking door handle at home depot for cheap, and you just need a screwdriver to put it on. Was this a purposely inconsiderate thing of your ex roommate or is he just a flake? I think things will work out fine though...dont worry too much!

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. I'm not from Kansas... close though, Wisconsin, and that was a bad plan. You can't get ahold of her? He didn't get a phone number? That sounds like total crazy talk to me.

This is my first comment, and I just wanted to add I love your blog! It's great to see that single young adults have the same sorts of (drunken) adventures while living in Madison, WI or NYC... although I'll venture there's probably a little more excitement where you are!

Thanks for the great distraction from work!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger AWE said...

Your ex-roomie sucks for doing that. I would try to get as much info on her as you can in case you need to track her down.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger denise said...

Forget the shrink - you are simply not drinking enough. If you let your blood alcohol level get too low, all this weird clarity shit happens and totally ruins your day. One word - flask.

D.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Ruffin said...

you're retarded, shandoll (and i mean that in the nicest-possible-way). the aussie isn't gonna steal your shit. do you know you don't even need to show ID Down Under to open a bank account? Do you know that AU has one of the lowest crime rates in the world? When I was down there, I was shocked that the national news would talk about *A* murder, and not even every night. Why am I the only one who hasn't fallen in line on this?

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Derek said...

I don't really think she'll steal your shit, but she shouldn't have a key or be allowed to move in until you've gotten some $$$. You should be able to buy a new cylinder for your locks at any hardware store.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home