Monday, June 12, 2006

Back in the saddle again

First of all, I would like to thank the endless stream of readers who have referred me to AA. Yes, I know that I do not have to do it alone; however, I am not exactly sure what "it" is. This past Friday night, my friends and I, eight of us in total, went out to that fabulously tacky Indian/Bangladeshi restaurant with all of the lights in the East Village. For the NYers who read my blog, you know exactly the place that I am talking about on first avenue. As this place is a BYOB place, my friend D decides to have a competition-- who can find the best wine under $10 to go with our meal. All eight of us brought wine, and having sampled each other's we all ended up drinking about a bottle each.

Yes readers, including myself. I drank Friday night. My teetoling ways were just not to be. I fell off the wagon, but quickly got back on. And no, sadly, I wasn't drunk. A bottle of wine over three hours with heavy Indian food just doesn't get me fucked up.

After dinner, we walk to a lounge in the East Village and as soon as we enter the place, all of us make a beeline for the bar. With a water in hand, I am watching the night begin. Drinks are ordered: shots are taken and vodka tonics are chugged. As I stand there, sipping my water with a twist of lime, it dawns on me.

I have as many issues with drinking as every other young professional. We all need to be somewhat intoxicated to "enjoy" an evening because, let's be real--bars and clubs suck when you are sober. We all run to the bar, plunk down our money, and yell over a loud and boisterous crowd our drink order to the person behind the counter. We all throw back shots and root each other on to finish the drink.

I am not that different than any of you. Only I have no problem acknowledging the absurdity of it all.

Maybe we are a generation of alcoholics. In addition to providing over-priced educations and teaching us esoteric subjects, maybe college schooled us in bad drinking habits? Or maybe our drinking is a by product of modern life, a way for us to reach an escape from our rigid lives: awake 8am, cereal at desk at 9:30am, work in cubicle ten hours, gym, catch tail end of Chappelle show, go to sleep, and start all over tomorrow morning. With lives like that, it is not wonder that so many of us abuse drugs and alcohol. We are prisoners of modern conveniences and are desperate to find a reprieve of the predictability.

And as for my drinking, let's just say that wine shouldn't count but, I am back on the wagon. I am actually enjoying sobriety. It is so great to wake up on a Sunday morning without a headache and take a long walk uptown, running errands and meeting up with friends. And as an added bonus, I can't tell you, how many people have been telling me how great and happy and glowy I look.

5 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Brian Van said...

I wouldn't go as far as to say wine didn't count, but all considered you behaved admirably and kept your control over the course of the night. So spare yourself any horrible guilt trip, because you're doing alright. Congrats!

Yes, the drinking scene is absurd. No, bars and clubs don't suck when you're sober - they suck all the time. I could think of 500 things I'd rather be doing than be wandering the streets east of Bowery past 10pm at night. But this is how we get out and meet people nowadays, and the resulting liver damage may take a day or two off of our lives, so sometimes you just roll with it. Or, like me, you get shitty on a Friday night and skip all the Saturday parties so you can sleep off that nasty hangover, while fully dressed and ready to go out, for 12 hours straight.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last time I was sober, man I felt bad
Worst hangover that I ever had
It took six hamburgers and scotch all night
Nicotine for breakfast just to put me right

(c) Dire straits - Heavy Fuel

;)

I'm not sober enough to know how drunk I am right now but i wish you all the best !
I love reading your blog :)
Even when i'm not sober errr drunk pffff
I need some sleep bye byeeeeeeeeeeee

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger corrie said...

byob, really? i always demand free wine from those places and they give it...the nastiest dessert wine ever. actually, i always end up going to the top left place and the other three guys from the other three places make me so guilty for not giving them and their identical food a chance.

we are talking about the epileptic fit inducing indian dining on 6th and 1st, correct?

 
At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you can exert control over your drinking, you're doing OK. And especially after some long-term drinking, being sober is actually kind of trippy.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger AWE said...

Don't step into the light!

Bars do suck when you are sober. You feel like everyone is staring at you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home