Thursday, July 13, 2006

It's never too late...

I'm not just writing this because I found out over drinks with my co-workers that they all know about my blog, account director included. I guess it's great that I got into the Ox, because I don't know if I ever had that promotion coming. Having co-workers know about your blog also destroys any stories that I wanted to share at the table, because they've already read about your antics the morning before.

Well, except the one about our family not getting invited to my brother's engagement party, and how the bride to be tried to kick me out of the wedding party. That was fun, sitting in a nice restaurant, drunk from the after work drinks had on an empty stomach, working on cocktail number three, as a glass of wine (great choice by the way) sits to the right of my plate, next to the twenty-nine dollar entree as I am sprinkling the "c-word" a bit too liberally and loudly. I just fucking call it like I see it. And that is a pretty cunt thing to do--not invite my family, but whatever, I digress.

I'm a bit hungover as I type this, not to the point where I will spend the morning running to the bathroom standing over the toilet, and praying that someone will not walk into the bathroom and find my feet facing the other way. But, hungover in that it was a small price to pay for such an awesome evening.

As I am getting ready to leave a job that I both loved because of the perks and prestige of working for the company yet hated because I had to be the worst assistant media planner on the planet, I learned a valuable lesson: my co-workers are pretty fucking cool. That and someone will leak the link to the account director. But I am sure that it was inevitable and think about it, don't you want someone in management knowing how you've vomited on a guy's penis? There is the guaranteed humility that is necessary when working in any industry. But, seriously, I'm sad that it took me a year of working and drinks on the night before I leave to find out that I was sitting under a goldmine of awesome people. I don't think I've laughed that much without my MoHos. Ever.

So, I like my co-workers. I am actually sad to leave my job. I probably said too much at dinner, just like everyone else. If only I had a blue shirt and khaki pants, I might pass as buying into the whole corporate thing right now.

And tonight is the good-bye extravaganza, senior management included in the good-bye festivities as well as drinks provided by a vendor until midnight. Isn't it ironic that they were trying to fire me six months ago, and now I am getting a good bye fete? It's pretty good representation of my life and relationships with people.

4 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger B to the... said...

Blue shirt and khakis, gotta love the blue shirt (my favorite). So would it be the last day today? 2 years ago I actually had tears as I left my job of 6 years, I'm a wuss. I hope the last day goes well for you. Leaving coworkers is never easy.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Shandoll said...

Right, like I am going to tell you where. I'll let you know tomorrow morning.

One stalker out in Wisconsin is enough, I don't need them in my own city

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger B to the... said...

Two stalkers from Milwaukee!!! Hope your last day went well. Take it easy on the liver, like I said before, milk thistle supplements, they work wonders, and their cheap, supporting healthy liver function around the globe (they must work in NYC too).

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger B to the... said...

I really hope I don't come off as a stalker, not exactly the image I was going for. Did you put any thought into the Drunken Guide to NYC? I know I would appreciate it, sure others would too. Have a good weekend and don't get too loaded (ah, what the fuck, go for it).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home